Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Closer To Normal

Lyme disease is an interesting little bug (no pun intended) to say the least. The more I learn, the less I feel I know. Tomorrow will be the last day of my 3 weeks of antibiotics. And possibly the beginning of more rounds of medicine depending on how things go. But I am feeling better day by day. At this point I can’t even remember what things were like a week ago, the horrible pain that kept me awake for a week is just a (repressed?) memory now. There is a big fight going on with Lyme disease, with the Dr’s and the insurance companies. I may have to actually get involved after this. Well, maybe I’ll at least sign a petition.

As I’ve been feeling better I’ve begun to enjoy being out of work. Just in time to return. Each day I’ve been more and more adventurous into testing my strength. I spent the weekend downstate. Had a great day with Mom and her friend Marie, read at the park, had good Italian food, and enjoyed being out of the house. The next morning I was able to go swimming with some friends and their kids, as well as my sister in law and my nieces and nephew. I really do love kids. I always have. They brighten my mood, and it spending an hour at a pool with 10 (and one on the way) kids was such a mood booster to me. On the list of what I might be able to expect with Lyme disease was depression and anxiety. Not just depression from being home sick for so long, but the disease can physically cause it. I read that and had a hard time believing a tick bite could cause such a change, but I have to say I have definitely experienced quite a bit of that in the past few weeks. Beyond the boredom of resting in bed day after day. Almost irrational, like the day I had a panic attack worrying about identity theft. I told friends that day it felt like someone had a remote control for my brain and kept changing the channels. It’s comforting to know it’s all part of the course of the disease, and that with time it will all go away, or at least get better. My point being, spending the day with such good friends and family, and so many beautiful and energetic kids did nothing but help brighten my spirits and help me get through a couple more days of being sick.

Today I went in to work for White Cat’s birthday, to visit my co-workers and have lunch with some of them. It was so nice to see them all. By the time I parked and got to the 10th floor I was out of breath, sweating and felt like I was about to pass out. But I took a seat and spent a while visiting with everyone. I really am so lucky for the office I work in and the people I work with. It never ceases to amaze me how incredible they all are. Not only on a professional level, but on a personal level too. There isn’t any one of them I wouldn’t give a kidney to if they needed it. Well maybe there’s one, but there has to be one in every crowd, just by the law of numbers. Regardless, they really are a great group of people and friends. I was in awe at the nice card and gifts they gave me today. The gifts were really extremely generous and I was completely floored by it. In addition they found wheat free beer, and gave me a 6 pack of that for when I’m off the antibiotics. I love the fact they care enough about my drinking to find beer made without wheat. I mean, how cool is that?

After that I returned home to rest up, of course too occupied by watching the thunderstorm to really sleep. Mom and Marie came up tonight, to help buy everything in the Christmas Tree Shop. I met them for a brief trip to Barnes and Noble and then for steak dinner. I really enjoyed the company, and by the time the check came I was exhausted, but for the first time in several weeks being tired feels like an accomplishment instead of just feeling sick and tired. It’s a good feeling, one I never thought I’d miss.

So things are good, they are going in the right direction and I am so completely enveloped in good thoughts, actions and love that I can’t help but continue to recover fully. Thanks to all of you for your kind words, prayers, thoughts and wishes the past couple months. It means more than you’ll ever know.

Busy day tomorrow, so I need to rest up and watch some Will and Grace (I think I’ve watched the entire series on Lifetime reruns since being sick). As I feel better and better I’ve got some great ideas stewing, so be patient and know the old Eric will be back better than ever SOON. Get ready to laugh, cry and think as I take you on some kick ass word journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment